Take This Tour!
"Bless the LORD, 0 my soul, and forget not all his benefits" (Psalm 103:2).
Psalm 103 is like going on a tour of God's blessings. When we want to take an exciting vacation, what do we do? We book an exciting tour to some fascinating place. They don't come any more exciting than this! Here's how David expressed it. First, we visit...
1. THE COURTROOM. "Who forgiveth all thine iniquities" (v.3a). The first stop is the courthouse to remind us we've been declared "Not guilty." God has forgiven us of our sins! We are free, pardoned and justified through faith in Jesus Christ, with no criminal record to haunt us beyond the grave!
2. THE HOSPITAL. "who healeth all thy diseases" (v.3b). Next, we tour God's hospital where he heals us. God can and often does heal us physically, but even when He doesn't, He works a greater healing—He heals our hearts of fear and anxiety—the cancer of the soul!
3. THE SLAVE MARKET "Who redeemeth thy life from destruction" (v.4a). Now to the slave market as a reminder of where the Lord found us. In past days, cruel masters threw slaves into deep holes where they sunk in brackish mud. That's a picture of where we were before Christ purchased us at the extravagant cost of his blood! We've been redeemed from Satan's slavery and rescued from a deep, dark pit of despair—hallelujah!
4. THE PALACE. "who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies" (v.4b). We go from the pit to the palace! We are crowned with the best of all crowns—God's priceless, precious love and mercy! And to think that we get to wear this crown because our Savior wore a crown of thorns!
5. THE BANQUET HALL. "Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's" (v.5). We end up at the Lord's Royal Banquet Hall. As Jesus said, "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled" (Matthew 5:6).